Biofilms in bioelectrochemical systems : from laboratory by Haluk Beyenal, Jerome T. Babauta
By Haluk Beyenal, Jerome T. Babauta
This publication serves as a guide of analysis concepts for electrochemically lively biofilm examine. utilizing examples from actual biofilm examine to demonstrate the innovations used for electrochemically lively biofilms, this publication is of so much use to researchers and educators learning microbial gas mobile and bioelectrochemical platforms. The ebook emphasizes the theoretical ideas of bioelectrochemistry, experimental approaches and instruments helpful in quantifying electron move techniques in biofilms, and mathematical modeling of electron move in biofilms. it's divided into 3 sections:
- Biofilms: Microbiology and microbioelectrochemistry - specializes in the microbiologic element of electrochemically lively biofilms and info the foremost issues of biofilm guidance and electrochemical measurement
- Electrochemical ideas to check electron move approaches - makes a speciality of electrochemical characterization and knowledge interpretation, highlighting key components within the experimental approaches that impact reproducibility
- Applications - specializes in purposes of electrochemically lively biofilms and improvement of customized instruments to review electrochemically lively biofilms. Chapters aspect find out how to construct the reactors for functions and degree parameters
Read or Download Biofilms in bioelectrochemical systems : from laboratory practice to data interpretation PDF
Similar chemical engineering books
The most excellent textual content at the houses and purposes of surfactants--now absolutely revised and up to date The prior decade has visible major advancements in surfactant chemistry: the emergence of gemini surfactants, superwetting brokers, and eco-friendly surfactants. insurance in their constitution and purposes makes this new 3rd variation of Surfactants and Interfacial Phenomena, already the easiest on hand textual content at the topic, specially well timed.
This interdisciplinary procedure combines the chemistry and engineering concerned to explain the belief and development of chromatographic strategies. The e-book covers fresh advancements in preparative chromatographic procedures for the separation of "smaller" molecules utilizing commonplace laboratory gear in addition to the certain perception of business chemical crops.
Completely revised and up to date during this moment variation, The Engineering of Chemical Reactions focuses explicitly on constructing the abilities essential to layout a chemical reactor for any program, together with chemical creation, fabrics processing, and environmental modeling. This variation additionally good points new chapters on organic and environmental response engineering that supply an exhilarating creation to those more and more vital components of cutting-edge chemical engineering industry.
A "must-have" for fabrics engineers, chemists, physicists, and geologists, this can be one of many first "coffee-table" books within the box of glass technology. Containing over fifty appealing micrographs, the publication displays 35 years of unique study by way of a very popular authority within the box. It includes 50 slides culled from tens of millions of pictures on glass crystal nucleation, progress, and crystallization.
- Membrane Process Design Using Residue Curve Maps
- Responsive Membranes and Materials
- Bioreactor Engineering Research and Industrial Applications I: Cell Factories
- Chemistry of Glasses
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 82nd Edition
Extra info for Biofilms in bioelectrochemical systems : from laboratory practice to data interpretation
Batteryless, wireless sensor powered by a sediment microbial fuel cell. Environ Sci Technol 2008;42:8591–8596. 33. Donovan C, Dewan A, Peng HA, Heo D, Beyenal H. 5 W remote sensor powered by a sediment microbial fuel cell. J Power Sources 2011;196:1171–1177. 26 INTRODUCTION TO ELECTROCHEMICALLY ACTIVE BIOFILMS 34. Lewandowski Z, Beyenal H, Dewan A, Gao HW, Meehan A. 2009. Microbial fuel cells to power submersed electronic devices. Abstr Pap Am Chem Soc, 238. 35. Shantaram A, Beyenal H, Raajan R, Veluchamy A, Lewandowski Z.
143. Lewandowski Z, Beyenal H. Fundamentals of Biofilm Research. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press; 2007. 144. McLean JS, Wanger G, Gorby YA, Wainstein M, McQuaid J, Ishii SI, Bretschger O, Beyenal H, Nealson KH. Quantification of electron transfer rates to a solid phase electron acceptor through the stages of biofilm formation from single cells to multicellular communities. Environ Sci Technol 2010;44:2721–2727. 145. McLean JS, Majors PD, Reardon CL, Bilskis CL, Reed SB, Romine MF, Fredrickson JK. Investigations of structure and metabolism within Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 biofilms.
Frequently, the practical values of anodes in MFCs do not align with the polarization potentials used to cultivate EABs in the laboratory, yet many published research articles describe the usefulness of the data for advancing MFCs. For example, G. sulfurreducens biofilms are typically grown at 0 mVAg/AgCl or higher and have electrode potentials that cannot be observed in practical MFC applications. These EAB studies have significant relevance to studying electron transfer mechanisms, and we are not debating on this point.