A Grammar of Savosavo by Claudia Wegener
By Claudia Wegener
This is the 1st entire description of Savosavo, a non-Austronesian (Papuan) language spoken via nearly 2,500 audio system on Savo Island, Solomon Islands. in accordance with fundamental box facts recorded by way of the writer, it offers an summary of all degrees of grammar. moreover, a whole bankruptcy is devoted to nominalization of verbs by way of one specific suffix, which take place in a few structures starting from lexical to syntactic nominalization. The appendix presents glossed instance texts and a listing of lexemes.
Read Online or Download A Grammar of Savosavo PDF
Best communication books
Our daily lives are unavoidably touched--and immeasurably enriched--by a unprecedented number of miniature sorts of verbal verbal exchange, from advertisements to highway symptoms, and from yesterday's graffito to tomorrow's headline. Celebrating our lengthy background of compact speech, </em>Short Cuts</em> bargains a well-researched and vibrantly written account of this unsung nook of the linguistic international, inspiring a brand new appreciation of the wondrously diverse types of our briefest exchanges.
Have you thought of studying Korean, yet been dispose of by way of the bizarre glance of the characters? Don't permit your self be scared away! Korean has been referred to as "the most reasonable language there is," and with this pleasant and thorough advent you'll soon see why.
The most sensible method to examine Korean—this booklet makes use of a lighthearted, funny method.
Korean for rookies starts off by means of exhibiting you simply how reasoned and logical the Korean alphabet, hangeul, really is, and is helping you grasp it swifter than you realized the English alphabet. lifelike events it's possible you'll come across in Korea in Korean-speaking environments are defined, and new phrases are defined when it comes to how you'll locate them worthwhile to speak. various illustrations liven up the textual content, and downloadable fabric enables you to pay attention and repeat words within the publication. quickly you'll have the ability to say with delight, "I be aware of Korean! " good points of Korean for newcomers are:
* learn how to learn Korean writing with ease.
* useful words assist you communicate with confidence.
* A lighthearted "guide" walks you thru, bringing the language to life.
As the greater than 1 million american citizens who communicate Korean can attest, the Korean language is right here to stick, and generations of younger (and older) adults are decided to benefit it. This e-book is for those that need a grab of ways to talk, write and comprehend Korean—and who are looking to get pleasure from issues whereas they're at it!
This is often the 1st complete description of Savosavo, a non-Austronesian (Papuan) language spoken by means of nearly 2,500 audio system on Savo Island, Solomon Islands. in keeping with fundamental box information recorded by means of the writer, it offers an summary of all degrees of grammar. additionally, an entire bankruptcy is devoted to nominalization of verbs by way of one specific suffix, which take place in a couple of buildings starting from lexical to syntactic nominalization.
«How had it ever occurred the following? », Thomas Pynchon’s protagonist Oedipa Maas asks in the direction of the top of his moment novel The Crying of Lot forty nine. this question is taken up during this ebook to discover Pynchon’s novels within the mild of constructivist thought. It starts off with an in depth analyzing of The Crying of Lot forty nine, that's carried into readings of Pynchon’s different novels (V.
- Worldwide Advances in Communication Networks
- Enterprise Knowledge Infrastructures: Information and Communication Technologies for Knowledge Work
- The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs: How to Be Insanely Great in Front of Any Audience: How to Be Insanely Great in Front of Any Audience
- Error-Control Block Codes for Communications Engineers
- Parent Talk!: The Art of Effective Communication With the School and Your Child (School Talk series)
Extra info for A Grammar of Savosavo
2. 2. Stem modifications The addition of suffixes starting with a vowel or cliticization of =e ‘EMPH’ triggers an obligatory stem modification with a small number of words, whereas the addition of prefixes only causes stem modifications in two of the three postpositions. and all other possessive pronouns that do not end in /ea/ BUT: sua ‘giant’ + -e ‘EMPH’ → suae totoa ‘sibling’ + -e ‘EMPH’ → totoae The last /a/ of these stems is omitted when =e is attached, although this does not normally happen to stems ending in /a/; if =e is added to the noun kukua ‘grandparent/child’ the resulting form is kukuae.
When the adjective gnari ‘small’ is reduplicated, the second consonant of the stem is omitted, and when the aktionsart of the transitive verb stem rajea- ‘to stroke someone or something’ is changed by reduplication to a durative or iterative reading the end of the stem changes: gnari ‘small’ + CV Redup → gnagnai ‘tiny’ rajea-12 ‘to stroke someone or something’ + CV Redup → raraji ‘to stroke’ Both gnari and gnagnai are commonly used in the community; but these kinds of stem modification are not found with other words.
107. Finally, the proprietive derivative marker lava shows stem modification marking number and gender. 2, p. 98. 15. Postpositions agree with their complement by means of a prefix. The citation form is the third person singular masculine throughout this grammar. Chapter 4 Word classes and phrase types This chapter provides an overview of the following word classes and phrase types that can be distinguished in Savosavo on morphological and syntactic grounds:16 – Verbs – transitive, intransitive, ambitransitive (Sec.